27 Dec 2019

Creating Mochi the Percheron

I first posted these progress photos on Imgur, which I normally use as a photo dump when I need to share images on forums or the like. I posted it publicly, which I don't usually do, and it actually proved to be quite popular, amassing over 2000 likes despite most people not knowing about needle felting or model horses! So I thought I could share it here, where my readers are actually horsey and might appreciate it as well.

I documented Mochi's creation step by step as I wanted to check how long it actually takes me to finish my felties. I'd been telling people they take "about 20 hours start to finish" but that sounded a bit absurd to me! Turns out I wasn't exaggerating as much as I thought...

So here we go:


30 minutes in: Armature done. Sorry for the less than stellar photo, I wasn't planning to post this online!


1h15 in: Starting to build up the basic body shape. The book he is standing on is what I use to double check proportions


1h15 in


2h15 in: some more building up


C H O N K Y


4h in: Still building up, starting to smooth out and add detail with Merino top coat. Starting to work on the legs as well.


5h30 in. At this point I ran out of Merino and had to order some more!


9h30 in. He has a face! Starting to work on his fleabites whenever I get bored of sculpting his body. At this point, hooves are sculpted and drying.


I felt bad for his lack of ears!


12h30 in. Starting to look like a horse! Hooves sanded, painted and glued in.


16h in. At this point I decided I wasn't happy with the ears so they have been pulled out and redone. Ready for his top coat :D


18h15: Mostly finished, just needs some smoothing out and blending of the fleabites. Any stray fibres will be carefully burned off with a lighter.


And done!! 19h total in the end.


A tiny man!


Taking him outside for some photos.


This was a good incentive to clear the garden a bit!


No comments:

Post a Comment