15 Jun 2019

Theodore the Appy

I've always loved the Stud Spider mold. While my first Breyer was Keltec Salinero, the only one available at the tack shop at that time, I fell in love with sweet-faced Banjo and circled him on every catalogue I got after. I finally managed to get him during my internship here a couple of years ago, and recently I acquired a very rubbed, very dusty Overo Paint with a broken ear. He looked quite sad sitting on the floor like that (shelf space is at a premium until we manage to move), so it didn't take him very long to acquire a new ear and some new clothes.


I was, at first, going to paint him as an Overo, but changed my mind early on as I rather liked the changes in colour across his coat and wanted to keep as much of it as possible. It's also quite difficult, I find, to make Overos not look terribly boring and flat. 


He was my first Traditional scale custom, so I didn't want to set myself up for failure. Even so, the grulla colour was difficult to get right, and I did get a bit frustrated with all the painting and repainting of his spots.









He probably wouldn't win any shows, but I don't mind it much - I was trying to mimic the style of old vintage customs, so he isn't meant to be incredibly realistic anyway, even though I tried to get the right basics down.





With the pansies :)


And a work in progress - my latest needle felted horse, which will be an Ardennes when he's done!

No comments:

Post a Comment